The Story Behind the Game
Description: HyperOrb Puzzle is an arcade style game inspired heavily by the classic
Atari game Marble Madness. Features include completely script driven levels with dynamic
geometry, real-time lighting, and an accurate physics engine.
This download contains the first complete alpha build of the game containing one playable level.
Requires: DirectX 8+ and 3D Card
Movement: Arrow keys (up,down,left,right)
Speed boost: Spacebar
HyperOrb Puzzle was a concept Erland Injerd and I began thinking about
during the spring semester of 2001. We had decided early when we had first
started college that we wanted to take the time we would have during our
education to showcase our abilities in game design and programming. Both
of us were fascinated by game design and were looking forward to make
games in our free time and perhaps even professionally after completing
This game is the product of a two year effort on our part. We had to
juggle classes and jobs while we spent our free time bringing this game to
life. This project marked several new aspects of game programming we had
never explored before. While both of us had created smaller games in the
past, HyperOrb was going to be a much larger project than either of us had
worked on before. This game was going to be 3 dimensional and both of us
had grown up playing games that were largely 2d and, at the time, neither
one of us had had the opportunity to take a Linear Algebra class or work
with vector math.
We had many ideas about what kind of game to make and this idea was chosen
specifically for simplicity. Previous experience with software projects
made us cautious of trying to make anything too complicated. Marble
Madness was a game that stood out in my mind as simple in concept, but
easily improved upon. This gave us a firm set of requirements to base our
plans on and allowed us to improvise if we had extra time.
Unfortunately, we were unable to include all the features we had hoped due
to time constraints. The graphics engine was my first attempt so many
graphical artifacts are present along with less than optimal performance.
The graphics included were done entirely by me, except for the skybox by
Damian Hoover, and since neither Erland or I were stellar artists we hoped
to get a better artist to make the final graphics for the game. Our plans
for the future also included an easy to use level editor and network
support for multiplayer games. Given the opportunity, we are still planing
on completing this game and making it available to the public.
We were able to use this game for our Software Engineering project as part
of our Computer Science degree. Charles Wesley was a huge help, becoming
our Project Manager for a semester helping Erland and I make time for
programming by shaping the notes and design outlines we had previously
written into documents that fulfilled the requirements of the class.